Long Beach Boot Camp
Nutrition Challenge Week 4
Feeling dried out? Often we don’t drink as much water during the cooler months. However, our body still needs fluids to regulate body temperature, flush waste products, lubricate joins, assist with digestion, and help deliver oxygen and other nutrients to cells. Our bodies are made up of 60-70% water and even small changes in hydration can negatively affect metabolism and athletic performance.
- Estimate your fluid needs by taking your body weight and dividing it by 2…this is the number of ounces to consume each day. For instance, a person weighing 150# needs about 75 fluid ounces per day.
__________# body weight ÷ 2 = __________fluid ounces/day
- Consider how many water bottles, cups of tea, bowls of soup it will take to meet your goals.
- Invest in a tasty new tea or water bottle, jazz up a pitcher of water with fruit and/or herbs, and explore other calorie-free beverages such as plain or flavored soda water. You can hydrate with fruits, vegetables and stews too.
Do This: Share with your team how you meet your daily hydration needs.
Need more reasons to hydrate? Additional benefits of hydration include:
- better appetite regulation;
- improved appearance of skin;
- reduced joint pain;
- fewer headaches;
- lower risk of kidney stones.
Start sipping your way to better hydration now!!
Lauren Squier, MPH, RD
SACFIT Wellness program, Santa Ana College