10 Tips to Get You Started & Keep You on Track
1. Start moderate and work your way up. Don’t end up with an injury before you get started.
2. Get into the right pair of shoes.
3. Get the right gear – think yoga mat, correct weights (beg, int, adv), get a good boot camp issued band or quality alternative at 20-20lbs resistance. The others are not worth it.
4. Stay hydrated. Women 2-2.5 liters a day, Men 2.5-3
5. Eat 5 – 6 small meals a day.
6. Set yourself up with a schedule, plan out what days you will workout this week and the following weeks. Schedule yourself a rest day. Your body needs a day where you are not doing vigorous exercise. This allows your body to recover and build the necessary muscle.
7. Tell a friend you are working out or better yet get yourself a workout buddy. Boot camp is filled with people who have your same goals. If you don’t know someone who has your goals, you will most likely meet someone in class. Exchange phone numbers and keep each other accountable to showing up…even when a “excuse” sounds more inviting.
8. Have patience. Getting to a goal doesn’t happen overnight. Be realistic about the amount of time it should take to be at your goal. Schedule an evaluation to map out how and how long it will take to get to your goal.
9. Choose one small goal at a time. Make life style changes that you CAN keep for a lifetime. Once you have mastered one, move on to the next. Maybe just making fitness a goal 3 x a week is the first step. Once that is mastered, then start on your next goal.
10. Enjoy the process. “Life is a journey not a destination” ~Ralph Waldo Emerson