A late morning or afternoon snack can be a great way to boost energy and nutrient intake. Or it can be a nutritional disaster (Super Bowl snacks, anyone?). Now that the game is over and week 2 of the LBBC challenge is here, let's focus on choosing snacks that will earn your body and health big points.
Snack = a small amount of food eaten between meals or a light meal
1. provide nutrients that may be missing from meals*,
2. satisfy hunger between meals, which may prevent overeating, and
3. contribute extra calories.
Why are YOU snacking?
If the answer is “I don’t know” or “I’m bored”, try a different solution than eating. If you can’t resist those salty or sugary treats in the pantry, don’t buy them at the store next time. Think of snacks as a way to satisfy short-term hunger and enhance health. Snacks are an opportunity to get additional foods and nutrients that may be lacking in your diet.
What are you eating for snacks?
Highly processed and irresistible snack foods (chips, crackers, cookies!) lead to overeating and undernutrition. Ditch them and replace with nutritious whole foods. A healthy snack is made up of two or more food groups and usually has a balance of protein, carbs and fat. Combine colors and textures to make them more interesting.
1. Plan ahead: purchase and portion several days of snacks at one time.
2. Need ideas? Bite into these healthy snacks…
Veggie sticks + hummus
Aged cheese slices + pear
Nut butter + apple slices
Raw nuts + berries
Plain/low sugar yogurt + nut based granola
Spiced chickpeas + dried fruit (no sugar added)
Sugar snap peas + tahini
Celery sticks + chicken or tuna salad
Unsweetened banana chips + nut butter
Homemade trail mix: raw nuts + dried cherries + toasted coconut chips + cocoa nibs
Bell pepper strips + guacamole
Popcorn + mixed nuts
Sliced cucumbers + organic edamame + rice vinegar + salt
Hardboiled egg(s) + fruit or veg
3. DO THIS: Share snack pics with your team! Support one another by sharing pictures of your super snacks by text. What's your favorite good-for-you snack?
4. DO THIS: Snack mindfully. Take a break and focus on your food. Practice gratitude for the good food you are eating and it’s nourishing effect on the body.
Smart snacking does a body good!